Wednesday, January 6, 2010

En Route To Work

This is a rather new installation at a traffic island, part of a city beautification project, that I cross on my way to work. The images are from the traditional Tamil folk art of poikkal kudirai (dummy horse dance). There are a couple of other such figures elsewhere - maybe they'll make it here one day.

The other snapshots for today were one of a clay camel figurine that I bought on a trip recently, the springcleaning of a house that is well likely a never-ending project, and Murugan's spear at the back of an autorickshaw, underlined by a row of other gods and goddesses.

9 comments:

  1. I miss seeing statues like these on my way to anywhere. All I see is boring streets with the same fast food joints and sculptures, if any, tucked away in a corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are supposed to be fibreglass sculptures, Jaya. They are rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so quintessentially Madras! I want to see more such pics :)

    Mamatha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try, Mamatha! My camera's travelling with me everywhere now :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Sra..how I always wished I got a min to click this statue you know..:)..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I miss all this... Want to visit Chennai soon... Am terribly home sick now... :-(((

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valli, the auto driver saw me trying and went close to it and paused till I clicked it - v sweet of him.
    RV, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful! Captures the feel of the city so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I located these statues at three more places, Musy, all near where I live.

    ReplyDelete